Our lesson during RS was on a talk from conference, Careful versus Casual. The talk was given by Becky Craven. It was interesting to hear people's thoughts, but most interesting to reflect upon my own life. In what ways am I too casual with those things that matter most. As I've been reading the Come Follow Me material, it has begun to talk about the Second Coming and how even some of the elect will be deceived. For me, I think some of my deception will come in allow myself to become too casual, but thinking I am okay.
During class individuals were talking about not to do things out of fear. Alex Price spoke in Sacrament Meeting and she mentioned a quote about how those that are obedient will receive blessings, but those that are exactly obedient will see miracles. I thought about this quote a lot during the lesson. I feel like the same applies to be careful versus casual. If I read my scriptures to check off the box, I'm sure there are blessings I receive, but the miracle of pondering and feasting upon the words will be missed.
To me, being careful means: thoughtful, intentional, deliberate, choosing. This applies to how I pray, read my scriptures, treat others, treat my relationships, attend the temple, serve and share the gospel, fulfill my callings, etc. It is more than just being a "good" or "kind" person. I remember hearing a friend years ago say that she just wanted her kids to grow up and be kind. I would love this also, but I want more than that for my kids. Them being kind should be a product of their relationship with their Heavenly Father and our Savior. This relationship will develop from "careful" choices and actions throughout their lives. I want them to know who they are are and to see the gifts that they have been given. Then to use those gifts to do His work.
Am I being the example of this to my kids? I don't think so. I have a lot to think about a work on so that I am not deceived. So that I am ready when the Savior comes again. I want to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment