While reading entries in Family Search, I came across the following story about my Great, Great Uncle Harry Loeterman and my Uncle Dave. I thought it was a great story.
Harry was born in Poland but soon moved to Odessa,Russia(The Ukraine) where he married Eve . They had two kids when he was drafted into the Russian army in the mid 1890's. After two years of service and two and a half he had another child on the way(Nana) He plotted a scheme where the local witch doctor brought him some lotion that blistered his scalp and made his hair fall out. He was caught by the Russians after a few months and convicted of treason. During his trial he actually ran out the court and escaped. The local rabbi gave him a boat pass and a passport and on stearage he came to Ellis Island and Lived with an uncle in New York.He worked in a factory and pushed a food cart on weekends and holidays and eventually sent money back to his family so that they could come to New York. He and his family which grew to 9 lived in a one room apartment in Manhatten.
By the late twenties they and spouses had moved to Hollywood minus Lil and her husband Irv Goodman.who came in the 50's. Harry and family first moved to Compton and then Inglewood where most settled. Harry,son Sam and my grandfather Sam started an open air market,the Triangle market, which was on a triangular block which was less than a quarter of a block on the main drag in Inglewook called Market St. This was in the 30's. I mention this for a special reason. Fast forward to 1968 and me, David. became a member of the LDS church in Salt Lake City with the intention of going on a mission but no money. Now home I began asking around the Inglewood Ward for work as many members had businesses.One brother, offered me after sacrament mtg.I worked for him for about a year as a ceramic tile assistan(showers and kitchens and floors., At Thanksgiving Mel Johnson invited his LDS workers over for Thanksgiving where I saw a picture of my family and the Triangle Market. With great anxiety I asked him why he had this treasured family picture. He told me that he had worked there in 1939 to earn money for his mission. God works in mysterious and all knowing ways.Obviously the Spirit was working when Br. Johnson had offered me a job and probably when my Jewish relatives had started the Triangle Market and given a Br. Johnson his missionary job.
No comments:
Post a Comment