Friday, March 13, 2020

Coronavirus (CoVID-19) 3/13/2020

Things have been getting a interesting around here.  Back in December a new strain of the coronavirus started in Wuhan, China.  It caused many illnesses and deaths and has been spreading since then.  Cruise ships were quarantined off the coast of China, hospitals were overloaded and makeshift facilities were built.  The virus has spread from there and is now over much of the world.  The US declared a state of emergency and it is now being called a pandemic.  I have definitely never seen anything like this in my lifetime.  In some ways it's hard to grasp the nature of the disease because we have not been impacted personally or seen the physical effects of it.  Some people are panicking and others think people are letting this get out of control and making a big deal out of nothing.  Over the last few weeks I have turned to the church to see what guidance and direction comes from the Prophet.  In my lifetime, I have never seen the church or the Prophet be swayed by the persuasions of the world.  I feel like this time is no different.  Near the end of 2018, the church introduced the Come Follow Me curriculum and the focus of home centered, church supported worship.  As we have been told that sacrament meetings will be temporarily suspended, I can't help but recognize the timely inspiration to prepare us for such a time as this.  I am excited to be home with my family and to get to worship together.  Also, we've been told to have food storage and emergency items on hand.  Now we are facing the possibility of quarantine and stores are depleted of essentials.  I am thankful for the guidance given by our living Prophet.  He truly is the mouthpiece for the Lord.  If we head his counsel, we will not be led astray.  He will help to lead us home. 
I am looking forward to the time with my family.  I feel like David and I are prepared physically.  We went a couple of weeks ago and spent $1500 plus restocking our supplies and our food storage.  Now I hope I am prepared spiritually. 
There have been several things that happened these last few days where I have felt a swell of gratefulness for my membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the spirit has reaffirmed that this is Christ's church.  He is the cornerstone.  There is no need to fear if we look towards Him and recognize that God is in control.

On a lighter note, Brooks is sitting up by himself!!!  Way to go Brooksy.  I love that sweet, sweet boy. 

Porter has been telling "your momma" jokes.  I don't love hearing them, but the other day Mason said the funniest thing.  We were sitting at the dinner table and Porter said, "donkey poop".  Then out of the blue Mason said, "Your momma's donkey poop."  It was actually pretty hilarious.  David, Meg and I had to hide our snickering.

No comments: