Tonight I noticed that Matthew was upside down in his fish tank. I briefly debated if I should wait and tell the boys in the morning, but since they were all still awake I decided to tell them. After getting their attention, I broke the news to them. Porter said he missed him. He was a good fish. He just ate and swam around. We didn't have to clean his bowl that much :). Jonas stared at me for a few seconds and then he moved to the side of his bed, put his arms out to me and burst into tears. He is so incredibly tender. He cried for a good couple minutes. I just held him and loved him. Mason wasn't really phased by it all. Then we decided to have a little funeral for him before flushing him down the toilet. Porter decided the song we should sing, "I Am a Child of God", so we all sang this before flushing him down the toilet. It was a brief service, but at least the boys all got to say goodbye.
As Jonas was so upset, Porter would reach out and put his hand on his back or pat his shoulder. It was a sweet gesture to comfort Jonas. I think of how we covenant at baptism to mourn with those that mourn. Porter is preparing to be baptized and this is one way he can do that.
No comments:
Post a Comment