Well, having to speak in public in front of large groups of people is probably top on my list. And last night David and I both had a chance to do this, although I would say that David is actually quite good. So good I think that sometimes, probably in this case, I become the recipient of guilt by association and people assume I must be a good speaker too.
So, a couple of weeks ago a member of the Stake Presidency called me and left a message on my phone. Honestly I was thinking David or I must be getting a new calling so I didn't think anything of it. I quickly called him back and then as I began speaking with him I realized something... Stake Conference was coming up in a few weeks. As my heart started to pound, sure enough, this kind man asked if David and I would be willing to speak in Stake Conference. Uhhgg. What do you say? Umm, actually I get completely terrified in front of large crowds, I bawl like a baby and you might be privileged to see a snot rocket fly from the podium? Instead, I just said yes. There were two redeeming things he said during the phone call. First, David would be speaking with me. This meant he would get to sit by me and help calm my nerves. Second, that we would be speaking during the Saturday evening session rather than Sunday morning.
Well, after searching through numerous talks, the scriptures, offering several prayers and bombarding my family (thanks Ambie, Mom and David) for insight and editing advice, I survived. Elder Bruce Merrill of the Seventy spoke at the meetings and it was a joy to get to meet him and to learn from him.
2 comments:
You are so funny. I would have been terrified also! I bet you both did awesome. I always thought both of you gave awesome talks/lessons.
What a great experience ... once it's over, right? I am sure you did a great job, both of you. I get nervous too! I spoke once in Stake Conference in Colton on SUNDAY!!! I was SO nervous!!! They didn't ask John though, just me, so he got to sit in the back with the kids and watch me panic up front.
Post a Comment